Wednesday, March 2, 2011

National Read Across America Day

Children in many schools are having silly fun reading today and celebrating the birthday of a famous American author. Do you know who?


He is most well-know for children's books and used a pen name.


Here's a hint from Wikipedia:

Geisel also worked as an illustrator for advertising campaigns, most notably for Flit and Standard Oil, and as a political cartoonist for PM, a New York City newspaper. During World War II, he worked in an animation department of the U.S Army, where he wrote Design for Death, a film that later won the 1947 Academy Award for Documentary Feature.



Still not sure? Maybe this quote will clear it up:

Today you are you! That is truer
than true! There is no one alive
who is you-er than you!

--Dr. Suess


Do you have a favorite Dr. Suess book? I think mine is the alphabet book. I remember it from childhood (from hearing it read to my brother) and then it's been engraved in my brain after reading it to my own three kids! Whenever they need a word that starts with a particular letter, say L, I still quote from the book: "left leg, lazy lion licks a lollipop"! :)


And now I am remembering that I didn't remind my kids to wear silly hats. Whoops! Yesterday was crazy sock day and today is silly hat day. With so much Suess on the brain I feel like everything I say should rhyme!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by,
Tasha

PS another card project tomorrow--stay tuned...

No comments: